Friday, February 12, 2016

I am a Success

So I must apologize that I have been lax on publishing any posts. I've been writing, but everything that I've written has been flat and passionless. I've been in self-evaluation mode, and it put me in kind of a funk. While I'm still trying to figure things out, many blessings have come as a result of doing the right things, speaking up at the most opportune moments, and seizing opportunities when they are offered.

"If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it." Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

On Groundhog Day when I went into work I was not expecting anything special to happen. There would be 6 more weeks of winter regardless what the groundhog did or did not see. So it was not a special day. The Friday before I was asked if I was interested in more hours because there might be a position available. I, of course, expressed interest. I have been vocal about wanting more hours at work. I was told that they would have to shift some things around and chat with other people before anything could happen. I wasn't promised anything. So this groundhog day I was not expecting my supervisor's boss to walk and talk with me as I was trying to fix a button that had come undone in a most inconvenient place. I was not expecting him to tell me to chat with him after my shift. I was not expecting the offer of a promotion to happen so soon nor so quickly after being hired. I accepted with vigor and a tiny giggle (I didn't think it very refined or professional to jump up and down in celebration). If I was waiting for the opportune moment, that was it, and unlike the character in "Pirates of the Caribbean", I took the chance. I couldn't be more excited at this new opportunity, considering where I started in my "working career".

When I was old enough to start working, I promised myself that every time I went from one job to another it would always be a step up (in my mind) than where I was. I started with a summer job as a cleaner for the public schools. Then I became a sweeper (janitor), to a tutor, then a data collector (phone surveyor), to sales associate in retail, to assistant manager in retail, to phone sales person (for 2 weeks and then I was fired. haha), to receptionist, to administrative assistant. It has been quite the journey. Each job that I had/have I learned so much. People say that jobs build character, good and bad. This is true. For instance I learned a certain amount and different ranges of patience in all of my jobs. I've learned respect. I learned kindness. I learned a lot about myself and of what I am capable. I learned what I enjoy doing at the work place. Currently I am learning a certain confidence. I am used to a certain environment that could really fry your sense of self if you let circumstances get to you.

Now I am in a work environment that I absolutely love, and it is an amazing feeling. I believed that I would be in retail back in Wyoming for the long haul. The thought always made me cringe. I loved the people I worked with, and I was grateful for the work. But the thought of working in a store for a career filled me with dread. If my family didn't rely on that paycheck, I don't know how much longer I would have lasted. I always felt like I should be doing something else with my life. I am a person that thrives on positive reinforcement. I am a person who wishes to be of some use to others. If I am to be paid, I would rather I be worth my employers' money. Working as a receptionist and administrative assistant (and yes in this instance they are different), I feel I have value and am entrusted with responsibilities that give a wondrous sense of accomplishment when they are fulfilled. It is such an awesome feeling when someone who doesn't see you very often (Such as the president of the establishment) recognizes your work, thanks, and praises you for it. How many of you can say that the head honcho knows who you are?

This is the perfect opportunity for me to mention again that Heavenly Father watches out for us. When we continue to do what is right, He will bless us in so many ways. I have never been one to really be great about consistently reading my scriptures, so it has been a goal of mine to change that behavior. So when I received this promotion, it popped into my head that me reading my scriptures everyday helped me achieve this promotion. Now I really need to make sure I am reading them consistently everyday. (see my previous post about scripture study)

Just one last word of wisdom from former LDS President David O. McKay, "Let us realize that: the privilege to work is a gift, the power to work is a blessing, the love of work is a success."

I am a success.

1 comment: